National Adventure Racing Champion
Congratulations to Covey Wheeler Noel Brady who was recently crowned 2011 National Adventure Racing Champion. Noel has been competing this year in adventure races all across the country comprising of onroad/offroad biking, kayaking with some mountain, trail and beach running.
The National Adventure Racing Series awards points to those who compete in adventure races around the country, giving 100 points for a first place, 99 points for second, 98 points for third and so on…
There were 10 races in the sport adventure racing category and a competitors best 5 results were counted towards their final overall score.
The 10 races for this year were:
- Harlequin Adv Duathlon Castlebar, Co Mayo
- WAR 1 – Glendalough Laragh, Co Wicklow
- MonsterMAC Millstreet, Co Cork
- Connemara Adv Challenge Leenane, Co Galway
- West Wicklow ROAR Blessington, Co Wicklow
- Connemara Rough Diamond (Sport) Clifden, Co Galway
- WAR 2 – Glenmalure Glenmalure, Co Wicklow
- Race 2 Glory Kiltimagh, Co Mayo
- WAR 3 – Powerscourt Enniskerry, Co Wicklow
- Sea 2 Summit Westport, Co Mayo
The last race of the series was the Sea2Summit, which meant it was time to add up the points.
In one of the earlier races of the season you can see in this photo how things were going to settle for the season.
Noels final score was 491 points which did not leave any room for anyone chasing him. He could not be caught points wise after WAR3 Powerscourt in Wicklow and could not be caught too easily during the year once he got on the bike! A first place in the Rough Diamond, a second in the Achill Roar and the West Wicklow Roar demonstrated his high performance consistency over the season.
The National Adventure Racing Sports Series was dominated by competitors from the West with the top three positions going to:
1st: Noel Brady Covey Wheeler
2nd: John Lenehan Covey Wheeler
3rd: Brendan Scullion Western Lakes
Padraig Marrey won the expert title.
Mary Mulchrone finished 2nd in the Womens expert category.