Covey League Round 7 Reports

A smaller than usual crowd signed for the final covey league Road Race of the season on Wednesday last. Whether it was the weather or the distance from town to sign on we are not sure but hopefully we will recieve some constructive feedback at the end of the season. In hindsight this race should probably have been held earlier in the summer as light was fading fast by the time the last riders were finishing up. You live and learn I suppose.
If Group 1 was anything to go by this proved to be one of the hardest races of the entire league, with a tough course and multiple attacks and chases taking place. Well done to Aaron for a great ride in group 1, and Ben on his first time out with group one, showing real strength to be there right until the end.
Thanks to all the group winners who submitted their race report…ie thank you Keith!!!!
Below is Keiths Group 1 report and the latest table, which barring a disaster for O Connell senior will see him crowned League Champ 2014 after the Hill Climb which takes place on Wednesday next, August 27th. Sign on takes place at Cordarragh crossroads from 18.15-18.45
Route for the hill climb: Head back towards Westport/Lankhill from the crossroads and take 2nd left up the hill. This junction will have a marshall on it.The hill climb is scored on the same basis as TT no 1 with faster times awarded more points. The exact timings and scores have not yet been worked out.
To get to Cordarragh Crossroads from town, head up high street, and go out through Knappagh/Lankhill until you come to a bunch of cars at a crossroads that you recognise as those of clubmates doing sign on!!!! Sorry if this is vague, i’m not a sat-nav. If anyone doesn’t know where they are going call 0879625826, before 18.00 on wednesday. (Note from Ed: It’s a little past Lankhill school)
Keiths Report:

Crash……An unfortunate win when Aaron put his hands up in the air 10m from the line, wobbled into my line, bounced off my shoulder and hit the deck as I kept going for the line.
That said, I attacked as usual from the start at the bridge in Louisburgh and was caught again 1k out the road by Sean Hastings and Michael Flynn. Patjoe jumped next and made the lads chase and then I jumped again. This time Aaron Doherty came across after the drags before Creggaunbaun before being caught again by the bunch. Patjoe jumped again just after Creggaunbaun and sat up as I came across, Aaron was next over and we put the hammer down. We rode hard through the valley and out to Ashleigh when I noticed James leading the chase. Patjoe dropped back to dismantle the chase while myself and Aaron rode on. James McGreevy came across between the 2 Erriff bridges and helped to open the gap. Coming up by the Erriff drag I dropped my bottle but Tom McGreal thankfully brought it back up to me, the only club member tall enough to grab the bottle off the road and hand it back out the passenger side window! On the run in I attacked by Autocare but Aaron was quick to react. James then put the hammer down coming into Farnaught, just by the bend I put more pressure on but Aaron was right there. Aaron kicked with 100m to go while I kept heading for the line and while he sat up celebrating I won. Great evening for a race, savage route and thanks to all the marshals and league organisers.

Paraic Furlong’s Report:

As myself and Noel cycled out it looked like it was going to be a dark wet evening but with favourable winds it turned out a good evening for the bike. With a nice average speed as far as Delphi and hitting 67kmph down the hill to the lake the legs were well warmed up, Sean and Theo being distance on this section we were down to six.
The group was working very well together and the wind in our backs the pace was high. Noel and Walter doing Trojan work on the front and Keith and Siobhan going well with big turns, a great ride by young Oisin to hang on till the end.
A bit of looking at one another for the last few Km’s Siobhan made a Burst to try and Clinch the Ladies overall but Keith and Oisin said no, so as we rounded the corner with 250 to go it was a matter of head down and ignore the burning in the legs and just managed to hold on.
A big thanks to all the marshals and everyone who helped out in all the rounds over the year and “looking forward” to suffering in the hill climb next week.


Posted in